Greg's 50 Build

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Root2812, May 26, 2012.

1. CoachG

CoachG Member

Awesome how your rebuilding the truck and why! Great job so far. Keep plugging away. After I got mine running 9 years ago, i started tearing it apart. After getting it apart at my dads, I had to take some years off. Seven to be exact. But now I am back working on it again. Got the frame done last year and motor set back in. Working on getting the body done now and hopefully start putting it back together again this winter. I finally have my own shop, and a place to do it! I plan on posting pics someday and talking to you all when I start reconstruction of the body!

2. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Thanks, Root. The A/C is from Vintage Air, in San Antonio, TX. It went in really smoothly. Everything needed came in the boxes. Cost was around $1250.00 Since it's not uncommon to see temps from 90 to 104 here, I kinda figured it was a necessary addition if I'm gonna' drive it more than 5 weeks in winter.

3. Root2812

Root2812 Member

What are you going to do for a glove box? I assume the stock paper one won't fit now.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

AC In Old Trucks IN TEXAS

Brother ;

You ain't kidding ! .

I bought my '69 C/10 in August in Dallas , the heater was stuck on and I drove it home via back roads and the open Desert , zig - zagging my way across Texas , New Mexico , Arizona and Nevada..... I sweated like a mule the whole way home .

More than one year later , everything else works AS - NEW agin *except* that bugger all heater ! .

I fixed all the broken bits , missing levers , frozen bowden cables etc. , etc. but still havn't taken the inner fender out to open the heater box and un stick the plenum mixing door that's stuck on full heat :rolleyes: .

As has been said many times over : old men are very foolish .

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

As a temporary fix it's a lot quicker to just bypass the hose Nate.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

! What !

BLASPHMEY I SAY :p

7. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Well everyone, No new news on the truck but I did buy a house. My offer was accepted this morning so we don't close until December 7th. Come December I can finally have my truck with me and really get started.

I'm really excited for the 3 garage stalls. :D

8. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Congrats, Root. I'm not sure I'd expect a lot to get done on the truck for a while yet, as new houses get a lot of attention for a while.
    As for the glove box in my truck, the A/C kit came with a replacement glove box insert that is just the right fit.

9. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Yeah I expect to be doing some work to it. Its been freshly renovated so the major work is done already. I've been waiting to get that truck home so I'll be working on it for sure. It just might be minor stuff. I'm pretty excited.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Congrats !

On buying your home , the American dream .

11. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Well I am still waiting to close on the home so the truck is still up north. I did go up and take it for a spin. It ran great but the wireing is a problem. I know it needs replaced but I was hoping to wait until after I sent the cab to the media blaster. I like driving the old thing so I may need to do something soon though.

The good news is that I can finally get rid of those 64 Impala SS bucket seats. The back rests are too thick and push me into the stearing wheel. Today I snagged a 1991 Astro van rear seat for $20 off craigs list. I know it will fit, its got a thin back that tilts, and the foam is in great shape. I think that once I upholster it I will have a really nice seat.

[​IMG]

Thanks for following the slow progress guys. I may have a line on a motor so things should get interesting soon. :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Seats & SAFETY !!

Looks nice , remember : some one wants to give you well over $100 each for those old SS chairs.....

I suggest having your Trimmer replace the current foam with black foam from an Upholstery Supply house , it can be very thin , like 3/4" as black foam is really firm and makes the best vehicle seats .

Also ,DO NOT use seat belts anchored to the seat frame ! they will KILL YOU :eek: .

Always use seat belts anchored to the floor .

13. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I like to bolt belts through the floor, then through a strip of steel that runs across under the cab through all of the seatbelt holes, at least 1/8" thick.

I have seen belts pull out of the sheetmetal and it ain't pretty.

14. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Thanks Guys. I need to replace those seat belts anyways because they won't match the interior colors that I plan on using. When I put in new ones I'll get the ones that attach to the floor.

Nate, thanks for the black foam tip. I was thinking of trying my hand at doing the upholstery myself. My mother in law used to do upholstery so if all else fails I'll have her do it.. All this is if I can find a sewing machine that can handle sewing leather and that isn't a ton of cash.

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Firm Foam

Cool ! I say do it your self , the satisfaction of that will increase your driving pleasure....

Anyways , Auto Trim Supply Houses don't carry the black firm foam ~ you'll have to look up " Upholstery Supply " in The Yellow Pages , it pays BIG TIME to shop around ~ the foam place in Burbank , Ca. on Burbank Blvd. , wanted more than three times what the other , smaller foam place in West LA wanted and , the WLA guy was happy to trim it to suit for me no charge....

Vehicle seats that look and feel pillowy , do not give good support and over longer drives , tend to bunch up and sort of pinch your skin , right where it hurts the most .

A super firm seat will always be more comfortable the longer you're sitting in it .

You can also make the bottom edge of the back rest slightly wider for better Lumbar Support .

16. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Well, the weather has not cooperated with getting my truck drug home. Repeated snow storms buried it and then my dad finished the job with his plow. Haha
    [​IMG]

I did, however, get a new toy brought home from the dealership thanks to a trailer. Great deals on bikes in the winter but now I really want the snow to melt.
    [​IMG]

Well, not much of an update but thats all I got.

17. Root2812

Root2812 Member

The truck is still buried up to the roof in snow but that didn't stop me from going parts hunting. Made a good haul today but the best score was this grill guard for only $50. Pretty stoked about it and I can't wait to get it on the truck.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to start the real progress once the snow melts but until then I'll settle for the thrill of the hunt.

18. Zig

Zig Member

THAT is AWESOME!!!!! Lucky you!!!

19. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Don't wait. Mount it on the Ninja!

20. ccharr

ccharr Member

I'm still, ROFLMAO, Thanks