Advice needed when splitting up brake line system.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Blueflame236, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Hi you guys

CPP send me the power brake booster (drum/drum) today.This model does not have an proportion valve because its not needed when keeping the drum brakes. I want to mount the booster in the same location as the old one. No problem , it is posseble with the mountingbracket that goes with PBB.

Although i have to split up the standard sized old brake lines , actually they are brand new and if posseble i want to connect the excisting brake lines with the new dual master brake cylinder.

I have an complete standard brakeline kit in my workshop but i do not have the needed fittings.

N.B. My questions are what fittings do i need and how many to get the job done and where can i buy these?

Apreceate some advice Martinius.

P.S. The attached picture shows an PBB with the proportion valve connected underneath.The one i have does not have the prop.valve.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

It really is easier to just run a new set of brake lines. Also, residual valves ae reccommended since the MC is mounted low. 10# valves for drums, 2# for disc. I posted the needed lines and tips in the How to assemble an AD thread.

3. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Need advice incase 10 lbs. "Residual valves" ?

Thanks Russ fore the reply.

I found the AD thread about the lines setup and i am looking through your how to ass. picture gallery! Amazing job you have done with this truck, saving it and restoring the complete truck .

You mentioned the part named " 10 lbs. residual valves". What size do you use here ,where to put the valves and how many, example 2 in front and 2 in the rear ?

Is this the one your ar thinking of ?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-POUND-RESIDUAL-PRESSURE-VALVE-DRUM-BRAKE-PRESSURE-/120647756484?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c172aaac4

I am not familiar with this part solution but i understand the need of it sinds the PBB sits in a low position and the lines towards the rear drums make a long distance. So it must be to keep the pressure up right ?

Maybe some of you guys have a picture of the PBB with a 10 lbs residual valves setup and can show me how it should be done ? That would be very helpfull.

Thank you and have an nice weekend.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  4. coilover

coilover Member

Here is what you need to connect the AD 1/4" brake lines to a modern master cylinder. We do this so often we keep them in stock. It is called a "flare adaptor" and what you need is Edelmann part # 258430 1/4 X 3/16. On your residual pressure valves you need one in the front line and one in the rear and this is before the line splits to go to each side. Brake line size is not a factor since the stroke of the piston in the master cylinder moves that amount of fluid no matter the line size.

5. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Great explination

Thank you Evan.

Now i now what to do and how to install the valves!

Attach Edelman brochure;

http://www.plews-edelmann.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1869&location_id=2516

Martinius.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I came out of my MC with an 8" line, into the res, valve, then on to the front or rear circuit.

7. coilover

coilover Member

Russ' way is cheaper and simpler.

8. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I'm a cheap bastard.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

CLEVER , Too !

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:rolleyes:

10. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

residual valve

I am planning to put the CPP front disc brake conversion in my Panel this winter and thought that i came with all the parts needed but I do not see any mention of a residual valve?
    My understanding is I need two? one for the front disc set up and one for the rear drum set up?

11. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Residual valves ?

If you plan to install the power brake booster at the same location as where the single brake master cyl. sits now , means under the floor/driversside. Residual valves have the function to keep the brakefluid pressure constant.

Yes you need one r.valve in the front and one in the rear. But mount them in a place before you split the brake line sirquit, means just between the dual master brake cyl. and the frontline/rearline.

Could you be kind to tell me what kinda fittings you are going to use size/thread ( how many of each kind) and demension brakeline tubes?have you planned to split up the excisting brakelines or have you planned to install new ones? If you know a vendor that sells the right parts to do the job i am intrested knowing the name and where to order the brakelines/fittings.

Thank you Martinius

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010