I figured out how to post pics of my GMC

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bilbo, Mar 22, 2010.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bilbo ;

I was the very first one here to admit I have the wost case of L O N G Motor envy you'll ever encounter ;) .

No wait ~ I meant to say that GMC began stuffing CHEVROLET engines under the hood about the time my '69 C/10 was built so that proves Bowtie Engines are better , right ? .

Oh , no , I guess it surely doesn't , does it ? :( .

Oh well .

At least my 250 burns more oil than anything you'll ever see so , uh , waitaminnit

Ah forgeddaboutit ~ :D

2. ctzr1

ctzr1 Member

its ok, I painted my long motor orange, remember?
    Thats my '49 GMC 228

Attached Files:

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Show off !

Ya just can't resist rubbing that L O N G MOTOR in , can you ? :p .

4. Zig

Zig Member

MAN! Even though I have a L-O-N-G motor too, I am now seriously embarrassed about the size of my draft tube! Some people just have bigger tubes I guess, but that one is like... OMG!

5. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Front Disc Brake Upgrade, by Classic Parts of America

I've purchased the upgrade and doing the install. And, TaDa, here are some pictures. Note, they look a lot like Zig's upgrade, too. I bought the roller bearing kit a month ago and incorporated the install with the brakes. The pic with the wheel installed is for fit testing. The wheels will of course, be yellow.
    Well, The photos won't upload. I'll try again later, Well, I got one photo to load. I keep getting kicked off by the System, or something... anyone else having trouble uploading a picture?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  6. ctzr1

ctzr1 Member

my draft tube came with the truck and I must say I have not seen one bigger either.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

There They Go Again........

Those flusherginner GMC guys ~ they have it bigger & better than the Bowtie Guys and because they're fuglier , they have to compensate by bragging , always bragging :rolleyes: .

Geeze I'm envious ! :p .

8. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

OK, I got a couple of more to load...

9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Whats that ?

Is that canary birds name GMC ( GarManCita) ?

I love this truck , Your doing outstanding work Martinius:D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  10. Zig

Zig Member

Looking Good!!!! :cool:

Where'd you get your wheels?

11. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Thanks, Zig. The wheels are Dexstar, purchased from a local dealer whose name I got by calling Dexstar. They're sorta' original type steel, painted 16's

12. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Martinius, That Canary reference must have been about My GMC! Thanks for the compliment. I have a great shop to work in, (whenever I can get time to work in it). I always enjoy working on the truck. Much of what I've been doing has been enfluenced by my Friends here. Thanks to All you here on this site. :D

13. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Tires and rims ?

Bilbo

What size New tires and rims do you have. I read that the rims are from Dexstar. Are they 5 or 6 lugs rims ?

Thanks fore the feedback on the GMC canary colors . I think its just so beautifull done.

Martinius.

14. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

The truck color is actually General Motors 2002-2004, Bright Yellow, Code 962J. Is a good match for the original available Yukon Yellow that was on one of my donor trucks. Those are 16 x 6" 6 lugs. I've ordered some LT 215/85x16 Blackwalls for Clarabelle's new shoes :D After installing the disk brakes, I can't use the temporary 15's I had on it, and she's close enough to driving that I'm ready for the new tires. BTW, I just painted the rims Yellow today, so they'll be ready when the tires come in. How's your truck behaving?

15. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Dextstar Rims questions.

Bilbo

I am still working on it but need to change to disc brakes , New rims and radial tires before i want to have it on the road again. I have done most of the body and mechanicall work on my truck.

I have some questions , do you remember the Dexstar rim name or parts number you have purchased ? Is it nescaserry to use spacers when putting these on the New disc brakes ?
    I like the rim hub With the GMC brand on it but do they sell them With the Chevy hub cap as well or did you purchased them somewhere else ?

Martinius.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  16. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Wheels marked "For Trailers Only"

:rolleyes:Well, A possible problem has cropped up while I was painting my wheels... They have a faintly stamped "For Trailers Only" on them.
    So, all you Guys here, tell me what's the difference please. I really don't want to have to hunt for another set of wheels!
    Martinius, I guess we need to sort out this problem before I go and recommend these wheels to anyone else.:mad: The center hub caps, however, are late model GMC truck hubcaps I bought at a swap meet for $15.00 ea. There is an issue with using these caps, though. They attach to the wheel using an external threaded lug nut to hold the wheel on the truck, and the cap has plastic nuts that screw onto the outside of the lugs. The late model wheels use a 1/2" stud, and our trucks are 7/16". To solve this mismatch, a company called Coy Wheels, (Oklahoma), sells a lug nut with the correct external threads, and 7/16 internal threads, ($1.00 ea.)
    By The Way, no spacers are needed with these rims, and Yes, the hubcaps are available with that nasty "Bowtie" emblem in them. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  17. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

OK, Progress report

Did some painting the last couple of days so I thought this would be a good time to update progress... Now let's see if I can get the pictures to upload.:D I have Oak bed wood, and Stainless strips and bolts as well.

Attached Files:

18. ccharr

ccharr Member

You are going to have a great looking truck, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work on it.

19. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Beautiful work on the canarie

Hey Bilbo

How are things going ? I love the work you do and the results it gives. How did the issue With the rims came out ? I haven`nt had the change on doing anything on the truck this summer because of all the other work on the farm that has to be done.

Greetings from the bird watcher Martinius :D:D:D:D:D

20. Zig

Zig Member

My oh my!

Man, that looks great!!! Isn't it a fantastic feeling to know you did it all yourself, too? All I see missing is the running boards and rear fenders. (or are they hiding somewhere?)

Thanks for the photo update!!!