Only way is up!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Zig

Zig Member

Sure~ Now you tell me. HA!

That IS a good buy. I notice quite a difference between the job my wire wheels do compared to the paint and rust stripping 3M wheels, however. The wire wheels remove the surface rust/dust, but just seem to polish the rust that is in the metal whereas the 3M wheel actually removes the rust and smooths the surface.
    I had to use a grinder on the front bumper to remove the old chrome. I have gotten really good with using a grinder and getting things feathered out, but even at that, the surface wouldn't work to paint over. (unless you used a few coats of sanding primer.) But after going over what the grinder left behind with the 3M wheel, it smoothed things out nicely!
    As far as the drill, mines a Milwaukee too. It's variable speed, however. It's one heck of a drill, too! It has taken all that metal down AND built my garage AND countless other projects, and it just keeps on going.
    Speaking of which, I guess I'm burning daylight!
    Thanks Nate!

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Whew ~

I just got done using the shop standing wire wheel , it works a treat but they use full guards so getting long things in close is tricky .

3. Zig

Zig Member

I hear ya~

I hope my drill doesn't disown me for calling it a
    Milwaukee when it's really a DEWALT!!! Sheeze~ All this time in my hands and I can't give it the credit it deserves... Most everything else I own is Milwaukee.

Back at it. One more half of the running board underside to do.

4. Zig

Zig Member

The whole hole~

Well, it wasn't pretty, but it's all done. Every piece from the front to the rear fenders has been taken down to bare metal, primed, and what needed to be painted black, or is just the backside of something that will be red is painted also. Now to check with Tom's truck parts about those rear fenders and that most awesome GMC tailgate! :D

I'm not sure how the running board got so pitted towards the end of it, but it isn't anymore.

All those car model kits I put together in my youth is finally paying off. The grand finally~ A full scale 1952 GMC pickup truck. :cool:

Attached Files:

5. Zig

Zig Member

Labor Day! Got 'er done!

Tomorrow, the clear coat!

Attached Files:

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

Looks good Paul, will be no time at all and it will be done and you will have finished and on the road.

Thanks for sharing,
    Charles

7. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Wow! Looks really good Paul. Kinda' looks like a GMC exploded in your yard, don't it? ;) That's gonna make a huge difference when you get all those parts installed. BTW, the hood release and Grille gotta go in just so, or you'll be taking stuff back apart to try and fit it together... Guess how I know that!

8. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Dude, looking awesome!

Question for ya! What do you plan to do about the hood divider strip? Yellow, white, red or stainless? All would look good! I'm very excited about your rebuild! Keep them pics coming bro!

9. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, guys! I can't wait to "get it together"!!!
    Ken, I will go with the stainless since I'll be using the (stainless looking) GMC letters up front. (I assume they were/are chrome.) That should tie it all together with the stainless window divider.
    Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!!!

10. Wolf

Wolf Member

WOW! way to go! that looks fantastic:)

11. Zig

Zig Member

Just keep your distance! HA!!! Actually, it turned out pretty darn good. I <LOVE> the HVLP gun!!! So much better than the siphon gun I used on the cab!

Clear coat is on and looks sooo good! :)

Now it's time to buy some bolts and get this thing back together! (after I run the brake lines and get the water pump back on the block.)

12. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Lookin good Zig! Do you have any prior experience with painting? I have none other than with a brush and roller :D but plan to start practicing a bit so I can paint mine when the time comes.

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

New Paint !

Looking very sharp there Paul .

Keep up the good works .

14. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

I agree about the HVLP gun! I got my bed sheet metal painted today too. Getting ready for bed assembly.

Are you gonna' use Stainless bolts on all the front sheet metal? I did on mine and it looks pretty good. Either way, you might as well buy a couple hundred 5/16 x 1" with nuts and lock washers, and about a hundred 1/4".

Did you use PPG, or DuPont paint? Same brand of clear? I'm not clear coating mine.

15. Zig

Zig Member

You - Can - Do - It!!!!

That's my background, also! My truck is the first and only thing I ever painted with a gun. I've done a bunch of rattle can work, and figured it was similar, just bigger. It's just like rattle can painting except it covers more, quicker. (Plus you have to watch out for the hose, and in my case, the regulator I had at the gun had a handle that would turn if you bumped it which would change the pressure at the gun.) It is in no way "perfect", but if it was, I might be afraid to drive it! I didn't really practice with mine because the paint's so damned expensive!

16. Zig

Zig Member

You betcha!!!

DuPont Acrylic Enamel with Chrome(something) clear coat. I used the clear coat because it's red paint and wanted to make sure it didn't fade too soon. (Not that it will be parked outside that much of course...) :D
    Stainless steel without a doubt!!! Did you get yours through our host, or just bought it locally?
    All I know is, it's gonna be sooo awesome to look out over that shiny RED hood and fender! :cool:

17. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I agree, Paul. Your yard art looks fantastic, but it's time to get it assembled!! Great job, and keep up the good work.

Damon

18. Zig

Zig Member

Yes, more pictures of my baby~

I'm kinda happy about how smooth the paint turned out. Not buffed, wet sanded, anything. Again, HVLP spray gun worked great! (for only a second attempt...) ;)

Attached Files:

19. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Yeah, Wait 'till you get to drive it around the block for the first time, again :cool: I bought most of my SS bolts as 'kits' from Classic Parts. I did eventually buy a couple of boxes of 100 for all the 'other stuff'. I gotta' go post some pics on my thread now... :D

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

New Paint !

Looking very good there ! .

I really like the firewall treatment .