Progress, however slow... but isn't it about the JOURNEY?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 52wasp, May 30, 2012.

1. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

2010, Buick, Crystal Red Tintcoat. :D

Steve.

2. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Ouch. Rub it in. Best I can hope for is a win in the: "who gets their chosen color ON a body part first" competition.
    You know, when our trucks are all done, and we meet (when- and where-ever that might be) for dinner, won't it be fun to look back at these baby steps?

Mike

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Both doors in their first coat of high-build primer
    20170216_doors.JPG

Paint samples (finally) showed up. Since when is the shortest way from Boston to New Hampshire thru New Jersey? Hoping to get some coupons done tomorrow.

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I will buy, as, by then, I'm sure I will be getting the senior discount.

We will of course need pictures of primer and all body work, and paint. Also, pictures of the products you use, primer, paint, hardener, etc.
    Looking good. I feel like I've been passed while taking a pit-stop.

Steve.

Zig likes this.
  5. Zig

Zig Member

What??? Primer??? Oh BOY!!! Time for another photo upload of all the other primed parts!!!

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice update ! .

Bambi sausage too I assume is in the works.....

7. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Nate,
    We are progressing nicely thru the Bambi burger, be it in tacos, meatloaf, amped-up burgers (my favorite), or whatever you'd use plain old ground beef for. The backstraps and tenderloins will see grill time soon enough!

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sounds yummy to me ! .

I miss the Bambi Taco luncheons we'd have at the No. Ho. Truck Shop when I worked there and they had huge hunting parties every year until Rodger stupidly blew his leg off and killed it .

Now, back to Penny stories please ! .

-Nate who's Grand Daughter is also named ' Penny ' .

9. 52wasp

52wasp Member

The Mid-March update:
    Rear fenders stripped of factory primer (which was nearly a sixteenth of an inch thick in places), and a few blemishes filled. Ready for primer. I also removed the aluminum pop-rivets holding the inner fender support, and welded thru the holes, and filled the offending areas.
    20170310_rr-fenders.JPG

Running boards are next, this one needed a little TLC beyond removing dents. I fabbed up an 18GA piece to replace the "thin" remainder of the original piece. A little more straightening needed before I weld it in.
    20170310_runningbd1.JPG
    20170310_runningbd2.JPG

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  10. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Sometimes it's hard to make a decision...
    But I have finally selected a paint color. She has been "Penny" all along, but which penny? After much consideration, and spraying sample color A and sample color B (and then sample color C, which is A+B)

Color C is on the left, followed by A and B. Full sunshine.
    20170312_color1.JPG

Again, C on left, then A and B. Indirect sun.
    20170312_color2.JPG

And the winner is..........

A. Orange Sunburst Metallic. I liked the color of B, a color called Copperhead, and the (slightly) larger metallic within, but it doesn't shift color in the sun like A. Just for kicks, I had the two mixed in equal parts, but the resultant color C is not nearly halfway between the two.

11. Zig

Zig Member

GREAT CHOICE!!! I LOVE it!!!
    And now I have rear fender envy!
    It is so great to see you making such great progress now, Mike!!!
    I know you have a bunch of irons in the fire, but I am thrilled to see that you are getting this much closer to assembly!
    That color is going to look SO cool on Penny!
    Thanks for the updates! #cool#

12. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Your welcome Zig! I am trying to get as much done as I can during the winter months. While it may have taken me f-o-r-e-v-e-r to fab that running board replacement piece, forward progress is what matters at the end of the day.

Yesterday the side mirrors I have chosen for Penny arrived by pony express (or UPS, I forget which). I need to mount a seat to the riser, and the doors to the cab, AND temporarily mount the vent windows in the doors to get an idea of whether they are going to "work" or not. I suspect they may cause more of an uproar than the S10 Frame Swap, and/or the LS motor between said frame rails... don't worry, they aren't "peeps".

Being able to put the color selection decision in the "done" category means I can order tinted primer.

Steve, you asked for the list of the "products" I am using on Penny, I will oblige. I'll post a list of what I know so far soon.

This is STILL fun!

13. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I like the color you chose, Mike. That is really going to stand out in the crowd.
    C, looks more like B, than A, and B, sure does look to have nice metallic in it, but, I still like A.
    Is that confusing enough?

Are you going to paint running boards, that beautiful, body color, or just plain ol' black? I'm thinking mine will be body color, super gloss.
    But then, I will be barking at people all the time.

Steve.

14. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    Not confusing at all! C does look more like B than A. If C was in the middle, it would be my pick, hands down. I considered adding the metallic from B to A, but decided against it (if I ever need to repaint an area, it will simply be a matter of ordering paint to the established formula).

The running boards will be black , but not plain ol' black (more on that later). No barking. The running boards are in surprisingly good condition.

Penny will be a driver, not a trailer queen. Every decision I make keeps this in mind.

15. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Let the SANDING begin!
    Update 3/19
    Got the fenders in their first coat of high-build primer, and the doors in their second.
    20170319_fenders_high-build.jpg
    20170319_doors_high-build.jpg

Also, I am one step closer to the "Hanlon Conversion" (you have to give credit where credit is due), yesterday I picked up a pair of beautiful leather GMC Safari seats (wonder where the second one is going?).
    20190319_new-seat.jpg
    I was so tempted to grab Penny's steering wheel for a picture of "days to come". Things are coming along nicely!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  16. 52wasp

52wasp Member

MIRRORS:
    After much consideration, the mirrors I have selected to grace Penny's doors are late-seventies Chevrolet Truck D-45 Below-Eyeline mirrors . The original mirrors don't offer enough "rearview"- especially with my plans to occasionally tow a trailer. After several hours of tweaking the mount, and massaging the mount-cover, here is what the first one looks like:
    20170326-mirror-lh.jpg
    20170326_mirror-and-seat.jpg
    I am very pleased with the fit to the door, and the mirror head and mount-cover shapes complement the AD body contour nicely. The mirrors will be body-color. Vent-windows still function.

You'll also notice the "Hanlon Conversion" going on. Bill was gracious enough to spend some time on the phone with me recently to discuss the conversion, many Thanks Bill! My plan for the seat install will be a bit different than Bill's, as I will be modifying the original seat frame to allow a direct lap-belt path. The frame will still maintain the "skirt" pieces (not installed here), . The legroom exceeded my expectations, and somehow the cab seems a bit wider than I remembered!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  17. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  18. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Man.. I feel like I spun out on the track, killed the engine, can't get a re-start, and everyone in the race just flew by me. Several times...

Steve.

19. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve, worry not!
    I checked, and I made a total of 9 posts of actual progress in 2016. I have made 9 posts of actual progress this year. If I had a camera with me at the shop after work today, this would be post 10 with progress (you know how Zig is- all bedless driving around town-demanding pictures from us). Second side mirror fitted to the door, and I made good strides on seat-frame mods to accept the new seat.

20. 52wasp

52wasp Member

DEADLINE MISSED
    Some years back, I set the first Monday in April of 2017 (an 'opening day' of sorts, for me the non-sports fan) as the day I wanted Penny to be complete and ready to drive to get an inspection sticker.

>sigh<