Say it ain't so!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ccharr

ccharr Member

That is the Southern, you are correct, the Grille is still great. BTW if the engine in them runs anything like a 04' Lightening then that FORD powered truck is okay.

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I've talked to the guy who was bringing the southern out. Chevy wouldn't play with the engines, Ford would provide and service them.........That truck is completely modified on every single panel, wider, longer cab, etc. It is a passenger car grille. It is absolutely beutiful in person.

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

I've been looking for a 47 or 48 sedan grille to see if it can be modified to fit the truck however they are a very spendy to get ahold of just to find out it can not fit. Maybe some day. That Southern is still one nice looking ride.

4. Zig

Zig Member

I agree~ the Southern is a beauty. (So's the price~)
    Charles, you already have that sought after Chevy grille, why change it? I have the manly G. I could only make it MORE manly.
    I see all these newer GMC trucks going by with that chromed "holy" grille. It looks like if you took one of those and turned it upside down, it might fit the shape of the grille surround of our GMC trucks...
    I have another idea about what I'll do, but that's a bit down the road yet.

5. ccharr

ccharr Member

I have liked the grille in the Southern ever since I laid eyes on it and went looking for the vehicle they used as turns out the used a late 40's model and the 47 and 48 sedan is also a favorite my mine.
    Some of the buck teef trucks look pretty good as in last one I post about in my web surfing. I have been a fan of the lead sleds since a young boy, and will not hesitate to do some modifying to any vehicle I have if possible to do. We all change our rides a little to fit our comfort zones as it is.
    So trying to stick a 48 sedan grille into a 48 pickup is just making it look a little like Charles likes it. If I had one of them buck teef rides I'd modify a 42 military jeep grille and stick in it, or flatten out a little or have made up something that looks like a Farmall H or Massey Harris 33 grille and put there . So it is not an issue of it already being a Chevy, it does your truck need the services of a qualified Dentist or not to begin with.

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

1948 passenger grille? How about this? https://talk.classicparts.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=196&ppuser=5385

Wish I had never sold this one, but blah blah blah.

I'll be visiting my mother soon and will check to see if I still have the old grilles and/or parts of grilles from the donor cars I had when dad and I restored this one in '72.

Ken

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks Ken. That was a ice looking car wonder what it looks like today?

8. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

It looks the same! Sold it 5 years ago to an old family friend who lives in S. Carolina. Jim loves it and has won several trophies with it and he emails me everytime he takes 1st.

9. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thats is good to hear the car is still in that condition. My Great Grand Father had one that I just loved riding it. He later sold it to another family member and bought a Buick Road Master that was so nice be ride in also. Thanks for sharing that photo of it.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The Southern

THANX ! .

I don't remember seeing this before , it's BEAUTIFUL ! . I'd of course scrap those cheesy alloy wheels for some narrow steelies with wide white walls , trim rings and little Deco hub caps... :rolleyes:

That grille just makes it , nice & smooth body lines too .

11. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Got the old Ferd percolating this afternoon. Spark plugs were beyond fouled. Rewired the spark wires and replaced the cap, rotor, points and condenser, coil, turned the key and she fired right up. Might need to get approval to spray for mosquitos as it had a little cloud wafting off behind her.

Got hit in the mouth this afternoon when a balance bar slipped a chain while intstalling a 6 in a Hornet. Heard a pop and my lip and tooth hurt. Bled everywhere. 3 nice holes in my bottom lip, one almost through. 2 nice holes in my inner lower lip, bloody nose and a front tooth went numb. Tooth is beginning to get feeling now, holes closed up fairly well. Nice print of the end of the balance bar on my face.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Colorful language was in full effect. Probably still floating in the atmosphere above Charlotte as we speak.

13. Zig

Zig Member

Damn, Russ~ That hurt to read! Guess that'll leave a mark, huh?

The things we do for love~

14. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Pictures Russ, Pictures! We love the gorey stuff. The Busted Knuckle garage ain't got nothing on you at all. Hope your OK. Dental Bills can be tough, glad there's no broken teeth.

Flashlight

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Ow ~

I hope you're O.K. .

I got my leg slammed in a car door over a week ago and the golf ball sized knot is only now beginning to subside a bit .

My foot is no longer red either so that's good .

Gotta watch the face , SWMBO might not like that if you bust it up too badly .

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

No permanent damage, tooth feeling has returned. The facial injuries go nicely with the hurt finger from the autocross at goodguys. I blew a front tire while running the course, the tire snagged the sway bar mount and jerked the wheel which jammed my ring finger on my right hand. Must have pulled a muscle or tendon in my hand. It is getting better, still taped up.

Any of you guys on facebook? I have pic.s and videos on my page. Friend me at Russ Petty.

17. federale

federale Member

Re:

There's a Ford unibody just up the road for sale. I'll try to remember the camera tomorrow.:rolleyes:

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Brand 'F' Unibody

Is it an F-100 with a 6 ? .

Maybe three on the tree and overdrive ? :) .

19. federale

federale Member

Re:Ferd Unibody

It was 8 am when I stopped by this morning,didn't wanta wake the owner. No info on the truck,guess they wanted prospective buyers to come to the house. Anyway here it is.

Attached Files:

20. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Nate, it is an f100 shortbed with the 292 V8, 4 speed (granny +3) He took it home today, we will begin the thrash in January.