As requested...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Chiro, May 20, 2008.

1. Chiro

Chiro Member

Registered it and took it out legal for the first time this morning. Of all the things I could have forgotten to order it was wiper arms and blades and as soon as I took it out, it began to rain:mad:. Put on a 40 year old wiper arm and blade and drove it anyway even though the wiper didn't really do a darn thing for me. Drove it for about an hour bringing it around to various friends and mechanics nearby. WHAT A BLAST:D:D:D. Took it home when it began to rain in earnest. Only had two of my kids today, but just before I had to take them back to their mom, the clouds broke and I took them out for ice cream to the local Ben and Jerry's and then home in the truck. They were so excited they could hardly contain themselves, unable to sit still in the seat while cruising. Truck ran and performed flawlessly all day. Darn cheapy speedo cable failed, though. The cable inside the housing on the cheap ones becomes too long once hooked up and routed. Had to trim off a little bit on the end, but I thought I didn't trim enough as it still fit really tight and I was right. It failed. disconnected it at the speedo but didn't check it to see if it broke or not yet. Too tired from working till the wee hours for a week to get it road ready. going to sleep now. first time before 1:30 am all week. Here's some pics. enjoy. Will post again tomorrow.

Andy

Attached Files:

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Andy, Let me guess!

The flavour was "Rocky Road"!! Lord knows that you've been there, ate that!

Excellent pics, my friend! I want to see the little one, sitting on daddy's lap, with white knuckles on the steering wheel yelling "Faster daddy, faster!"

Make it happen for me, OK?

3. Chiro

Chiro Member

Ken,

Look for that pic after the Memorial Day weekend. I plan on driving it to my youngest boy's baseball game tonight. If the witch allows it, I'll take him and my daughter home from the game. Those two haven't had a chance to drive in it on the road yet.

Andy

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

If you don't have enough sense to get in out of the rain, at least get some Rain-X.

Congrats Andy.

5. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Ride on

Andy - What a great inspiration. I'm so looking forward to reaching where you are...it's been quite an experience just to read about your trip...and what a great bopnding experience with the kids. The black bed wood looks great. I don't recall reading how you treated it. Ride on brother, Larry

6. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

Great job, great pictures! I know you are, and you should be, proud of those kids! Enjoy every minute.

7. Chiro

Chiro Member

Larry, sent you a pm.

8. 58 Chevy pickup

58 Chevy pickup Member

Need A Picture Of That Engine!!

Andy, I'm so glad that you got yours and your sons truck on the road. It really looks good. I was always worried that something would go wrong with the engine but it appears that everything is working out fine.
    Les

9. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

"it"

Andy, you gotta get the kids to name that truck. surely after all this time you all refer to the truck as something besides "it" or the truck?

Gotta be a name the kids call it.

Maybe they haven't told you yet.

Jim:D

Attached Files:

10. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

First ride

Very cool Andy! Keep us posted!

Bob

11. sweet50

sweet50 Member

That first ride is always awesome. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us automotive nuts.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

That's What I'm Talking About !

Very good Andy ! .

Next time , stop and get a potato , cut it in half and rub it on the glass , helps the pathetic wiper keep things clearer...

I keep my wiper blades in the glovebox so they're not all rotted away when I finally need them , only take 30 seconds to install .

13. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Russet? White? Red? Boiled? French Fried? Baked?

14. Wolf

Wolf Member

that is awesome, way to go! I can't wait to get my truck runnin.

15. Zig

Zig Member

You're living my dream

Way to go Andy! Thanks for the photos too! That is just to cool of a story~ may it go that great for all of us that are far behind where you are!

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Here is Wyatt in my truck...

[​IMG]

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Potato In Lieu Of Rain-X

Hell ;

I dunno ~ I just had an old timer told me this when I was a struggling young pup and it worked :rolleyes: raw , from the store , cut in 1/2 with my pocket knife .

Being Irish I hate to waste potatos and all but a man's gotta see in the rain , right ? :D

-Nate

18. rix 48

rix 48 Member

All thumbs...up!

Great to see the pic's. Each time I see one back on the road, it perks me up. Mine is down to the frame...which is off to the blaster tomorrow. :eek:

Mutch gratitude,
    Rick

19. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Sorry for this one!

Seeing young Wyatt, all I can think of is the occassional excrement that comes so lovingly out of a youngun's mouth. Wyatt "Earp" comes to mind!;)

Russ, he's one in a million! If you need advise as to how to get that off of the "finish" before it ruins the paint, let me know!:D

20. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Spuds

I'm going to pick up a 5 lb. bag for the passenger side floorboard...just in case.

Bob