windlace help on a 51

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by richie d, Nov 3, 2008.

1. richie d

richie d Member

does any one have suggestions on installing the door windlace. looks to me that it has to be one peice using lots of lube and much patience.:confused:

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Get the KY from the beedroom....no kidding. Use some wide jaw pliers to grip the end, then get a friend to help feed it through. As usual, much swearing is generally involved.

3. Chiro

Chiro Member

You will need many adult beverages for proper lubrication to do this job:D.

Andy

4. cochran

cochran Member

Ughh... I have to do this too! I started it twice but the frustration level was too much. I will attempt it again soon. Get ready for some swearing!

5. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

As usual, I am confused:confused::confused:. I thought the tough one was the cab windlace. The term windlace seems to be confusing enough. Sometimes it is just called what it is... weatherstripping and other times it is called a "seal".

I thought the door "windlace" was just glued on with the 3M adhesive then held in place at the bottom by a SS retainer strip.

Greg

6. Wolf

Wolf Member

7. cochran

cochran Member

Greg,
    I assumed the "weatherstripping" was the one on the door glued on, and the "Windlace" was the one in the channel around the door on the cab side. I very well could be wrong.

-casey

8. yodaman

yodaman Member

I bought the cab windlace for my '54 fall Carlisle this year from JC. The fella behind the table said that rather than try to thread it through the track, take a blunt screwdriver and push it in from the side beginning at one end and working your way around. I did this in about 20-30 minutes per door using soapy water in a spray bottle for lubricant. My only advice is too keep it taut around the curves at the top of the door to prevent kinking. Hope this helps.

Josh

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

That tool is for the lock bead around the rear windows....works well, small learning curve.

The windlace goes on the cab in the little track around the door. Weatherstripping is the stuff that glues around the door itself and seals to the body...in theory of course.

10. Wolf

Wolf Member

good thing i didn't buy that tool then:eek:

yodaman, that is how i installed mine also,

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Windlace

You are correct .

I use a stubby flat blade screwdriver with the widest blade I can find the gently stuff in the edge sticking out after I've inserted one side into the channel...

Works out much easier if the rubber is warm , I lay it on the seat on a sunny day so the sun warms it up a goodly bit before attempting , this isn't a winter job :rolleyes: .

FWIW ; Windlace really helps keep those chilly drafts out of the cab on windy winter days , it wears quickly but is nice to have .

-Nate

12. coilover

coilover Member

I like the stuffing in from the side way even though it's tricky where the side of the dash is real close. For anything that lubing makes easier we use the original formula Go-Jo. It's slippery as snot and seems to last longer than soap plus it cleans up 100% with plain water. It is the cats meow for pushing a spark plug wire through a right angle boot.

13. Zig

Zig Member

I like STP Son of a Gun. It's made for this stuff, and boy does it slick things up! _Makes the rubber look nice and new, too_:cool:

14. shankamoto

shankamoto Member

windlace

I made a tool to open the channel before installation. I simply made a small slug of metal the same shape as the windlace and pushed it through the channel with a screw driver and hammer. It dosen't work to well on the tight curves. So I took an old screw driver and bent the tip on a 90 degree angle, it made a good lever.
    I used GO-JO and pushed the windlace from the side with a blunt screw driver.:)

Gene