New To The Forum

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Raz76, May 14, 2012.

1. Zig

Zig Member

Don't know about the welder, but as far as your bed goes, you might check with Tom's Truck Parts in Miami OK. I'll be heading there someday to get new (used) rear fenders, a GMC gate, and the piece that goes across the front of the bed behind the cab. If you find out what he's asking for parts, I'd say you'd have a fair starting price. Then post the parts on Craig's List?

2. Raz76

Raz76 Member

My buddy gave me a complete 454 and a small block from a chevy today. All complete. What do you guys think, build it or get rid of it and if I was to sell it, what's it worth. Its a virgin block.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

4. Raz76

Raz76 Member

5. Wolf

Wolf Member

Raz this is awesome! you have just about the same truck as Zig and myself. I have a 52 3/4 ton. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Mine is done right now! I did every piece of the brakes, and fuel system. Here are a few links to what I did. Trust me its a blast to drive even though I can only go 45;) But it will haul. Ask me how I know;)

Great looking truck. I love that chrome grill. And yes that beautiful 7 bolt main full oil pressure long long long 228:)
    https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=11532
    https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=12386

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice Bed !

Very nice indeed .

Here in So. Cal. , those engines are sought after but very cheap ~ complete from fan to clutch , running they're $250 each if you take 'em out , nearly all are low mileage virgins .I suggest you oil them and set aside for now and once you're building your dream engines pick & choose the parts you want and use the rest as trades to keep build costs down .

Me , I'd junk 'em but then I'm a 6 Banger guy so pay no heed .

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  7. Shruuuum

Shruuuum Member

Welcome to the forums. Raz76:)

8. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Thank you. I found a Soda Blaster locally and they told me 1200 to soda blas everything, frame, fenders, inside and outside of cab and the bed. Is that good, worth it or should I just sand it all and save some cash?

9. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I'd be careful of someone saying they could sand blast the sheet metal. It's likely to warp and distort from heat build up due to friction. I'd sandblast the frame and heavier parts, then have the sheet metal soda blasted.

Damon

10. Raz76

Raz76 Member

No sand blasting, I never said that. Soda Blast everything. I already know about sand blasting.

11. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

You're right, you did. Ignore that.

I dunno that soda blasting would be aggressive enough for the really rusty stuff like the frame, wheels, etc. I've been told it's great for paint removal, but that's about it.

Damon

12. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Im not keeping the wheels. The frame is not too bad, this truck has been garaged for a while. I think I might just sand it all by hand and use a wire brush on the frame with my angle drill.

13. Raz76

Raz76 Member

I had an hour today so I took advantage of it and pulled the seat out, removed the old headliner and started sanding the driver door. I wish I had lots of time to spend on this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Wolf

Wolf Member

looks like its all solid and there! There is a guy in Miami OK that has a lot of parts. I got some parts from him. Not sure how far that is. I will find his card and get you his info. Nice guy, I met him at a swap meet in Wichita KS. I got his info from Jim Carter here in KC.

15. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

That'd be:
    Tom Myers Truck Parts
    54460 East 110 Road
    Miami, OK 74354
    (918) 542-3871

16. Wolf

Wolf Member

That is the one! Thanks Bill!!!

17. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Thanks guys, I will give that a try. If not ill just buy entire bed, complete from Mark K for 1500. How much would it be to rebuild the original engine and transmission? Is it worth it? Or should a go with a crate motor and call it a day?

18. Raz76

Raz76 Member

What kind of oil do I use in this truck and how much? Is there any maintenance books for these trucks.

19. Zig

Zig Member

GMC's LOVE OIL!

If memory serves, 9 QUARTS! :eek:

I will stay out of the line of fire when it comes to what kind of oil. :rolleyes:

20. Zig

Zig Member

By the way, ever try one of those 3M abrasive wheels that look like something you'd clean a Bar-B-Que grill with? I love them. They will take the paint off without any sweat. Use some etching primer and away you go!