New To The Forum

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Raz76, May 14, 2012.

1. ccharr

ccharr Member

The members have been very helpful for you, Sorry we could not keep up, we have honeydoo schedules we all have been quite busy.
    I can not answer your question because I like the heavier trucks, 1/2 T stuff is to light for my 1 ton.

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Swap to a more modern disc brake axle. Most pull a parts have them under $100. Look into something like a 90 Town car, I ran one when I first built my truck.

3. Raz76

Raz76 Member

For the rear right? That would be better then the camaro rear I have now?

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

It would have disc brakes, on the cheap.

5. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Would the bolt pattern be the same as a Mustang II IFS? Thanks for the help.

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Real Mustang II - no.

Aftermarket Mustang II front ends can be had with just about any bolt pattern you are willing to pay for.

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

aFTERMARKET m2 Uses Granada discs for Ford pattern, metric Gm for chevy. I am installing a 95 Impala SS rear in a 51 at the shop right now. Seems to fit well so far. I'll let you know how it turns out.

8. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Quick question guys. I pulled the truck out of the garage today and looking from the back I thought that the left side looked to be lower then the right. I measured and it's 3/4" difference. Is this normal? or do I have problems?

9. Haasman

Haasman Member

Start with the easy stuff-

-When you noticed were the steering wheels turned one way or the other, or straight ahead?
    -all tires properly inflated?
    -all tires (at least on the same axel) the same size?
    -shocks the same or one look different (newer, different brand than the other) thought here one might be a gas pressurized, on not?

Do you know the history of the truck?

Haasman

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Shocks shouldn't make any difference in ride height unless they have some kind of spring involved.

11. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Wheels are straight, my 3/4 ton has no shocks, all tires inflated properly and no visible frame damage. I got under there and looked and from fixing frames for over 10 years on wrecked cars, I would see it. Don't really know the history. I bought it from a local guy that had it in his garage for a while, other then that, nothing.

12. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Would pics help, if so, what angles do you guys want. If it does turn out to be the frame, then I need to find a new job but no biggie. I already have the 1/2 frame I'm gonna swap it on to.

13. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Another question, a local guy has these wheels for sale with tires in good condition for 500 bucks and I really like them. I just don't know if they would work with the Mustang II FIS and what rear I would have to get to match. They are American Racing Torq thrust II 5x4.5 17x8 front and 17x9.5 rear with 5" BS.

[​IMG]

14. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Use a ford rear, look into something around a 90 Town car, a 200? Mustang or an Explorer. Take our tape measure and match something up.

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Ride Height

For some reason I'll never know , all older GM trucks tended to ride lower in the left front .

I've swapped springs and so on , a few I took far enough apart o find tweaked frames , might have been ify build quality as GM shoved them out the door as fast as possible during the AD build time .

16. Raz76

Raz76 Member

If I install my 1/2 front axle, would that by itself lower the front compared to the way it sits now at 3/4 ton?

17. Zig

Zig Member

It shouldn't. They look almost identical. The thing it does is give you more options. (Like disc brake conversion, dropped spindels, 5 or 6 lug bolt patterns)

I changed mine out to 1/2 ton for the disc brake and 6 lug pattern that will match the rear end I'll be changing to... ...someday...

18. Raz76

Raz76 Member

What rear are you gonna do that has 6 lug?

19. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Never seen such a thing on a straight front axle. Dropped axle - yes.

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dropped Spindles

Are an old time Hot Rodders trick , they're O.K. as they allow retention of the current springs and steering geometry .

So far , Russ is the *only* Hot Rodder I've ever see who can keep up with me in the twisty bits......

Lowering trucks , why ? if you don't like high old trucks , buy a Honda .