Is this 216 any good?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by edwin wells, Jun 23, 2007.

1. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

I am a frequent reader (but rare poster) to this forum and want to thank everyone for the great knowledge dispensed through all the posts.

My question is this: Is there a way to determine the fitness of an engine while it is out of the truck? I have access to a 1948 216 that smoked a bit when it was in my friends truck but now it is out and available for free. I would like to drop it into my engineless 51 ¾ ton. Is it possible to do a compression test or anything of the sort before I drop it in?

I am a newbie and need a little advice –

Thanks!

Ed

2. coilover

coilover Member

Sure you can check compression, just hook a battery (6 0r 12 volt) up with positive cable to starter and negative to block. Remove sparkplugs and mash the lever on the starter against the switch to turn over. If you can bolt the starter linkage up, including the pedal from inside the cab it's alot easier because the spring on the lever is pretty strong. With a jumper wire from the positive bat post to the coil + and a hose from the fuel pump to a gas can you can fire it up but it's hard to hear much with the open exhaust. You also need to plug the oil pressure line to the guage or it gets messy. You can run a used engine for several minutes without hurting it and it will let you know if it's running smoothly on all six. If it runs rough and one or more plugs are oil fouled it needs work.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Used Engine Testing

Ed ;

I do this all the time when I get cheap or free engines .

1st. things 1st. = VALVE ADJUST ! .

$5.00 says at least two will have zero clearance and you CANNOT accurately test the compression with tight valves .

Remove all 6 sparkplugs and adjust the valves , look at the valve stems between thier coil springs and if they look dry , squirt or dribble ,some oil on them so they don't stick .

As Evan (?) mentioned , you can time it and run it on the ground but , don;t run it longer than needed to ascertain no knocks and runs on all 6 holes when you goose it as runing it sans water will cause collapsed piton rings very quickly and if you think it used to smoke , wait 'till you run it with collapsed rings ! :eek:

The good thing is : it can have as little as 60 # in the cylinders and it'll still run great . GM really outdid themselves with this particular engine design .

It's free and your truck has no engine ? this is a NO BRAINER ! :rolleyes:

Personally , I'd remove the oil pan and clean all the sludge out of it and the oil pickup screen to so it'll run well for a long time yet .

Consider replacing the freeze plugs whilst it's on the ground as it'll never be easier and you can use brass ones and then simply forgeddaboutit .

I'd also de-grease it , scrub off all the old peeling paint and re-spray it grey now , on the ground so it'll look as best it can once it's plugged into your beloved old Advance Design truck .

Look in the archives under awakening old engines and/or tune up for all the little details that'll make it run as new again , even though it's all worn out .

4. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Thanks Guys

Thanks so much for the time you guys spent on the advice. That is why this forum is so unique and great, especially for us less experienced -

I will give it all a try and report on the results. Might need more tips as I move ahead!

5. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  6. brit 50

brit 50 Member

7. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

thanks for the welcome

I always appreciate how you guys are quick to help out a newbie like myself who has (what are to most of you) very basic questions. Didn't fall in love with the Advanced Design trucks until later in life -(late 40's) - my wife said I needed a hobby and working on my truck even for 30 minutes every evening is a great stress buster. It is surprising how much progress you can make as the weeks and months go by if you keep workin' on her a little bit every day!

Ed

8. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Its also amazing how the wife can get angry as the weeks and months go by too
    ________
    Black Vids

9. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Speaking of wifes...

I saw a great quote by Rodney Dangerfield yesterday that just cracked me up. "My wife and I were happy for 20 years. Then we met each other!"

10. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Yeah, my lawn is brown and about a foot high but at least I am making progress on my '51.

Ed

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well Ed ;

Old stale gas makes a great grass killer.....:D

If you think tinkering on it is fun , just wait 'till you rattle it on down the road and discover the old Chevy truck division sales sloagan : ' If it steers like a truck , it's NOT a Chevrolet ! ' :D

And it's true too ! .

Hopefully SWMBO will understand that you out in the garage beats you down to the corner bar anyday....

12. Zig

Zig Member

Yeah, it also makes me say "Excuse me", but that's just to teach my daughter good manners-

It'd be more effective if I wasn't laughin' so hard when I say it!:p