1949 Chevy 3600......making it a daily driver!!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Coach529, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

You don't need a 4 core in aluminum. Get this one...http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-1954-C...51|Make:Chevrolet&hash=item1e77649aee&vxp=mtr,

This is the radiator I have used in everything. Champion is a good one. I have put them in 3 ADs, Ford truck with a 460, 67 chevelle, 66 chevelle, 3 69 Camaros, early vettes, etc. They work great for the price. I am going to order one for my truck when I do the engine swap. I have one in my garage right now going into a 53 getting 327 swap.

I also like the black magic fan....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-180/overview/
    This thing pulls big air, we have used them on most of those cars with the radiators, I will have one for mine.

I also like Flowkooler water pumps, they flow more at low speeds.

these 3 items have cured nearly all overheating issues we have ever come up against.

2. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Thanks for the insight Russ. I will look into it.

What are you thoughts on a pusher fan rather than a puller?

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Just don't run a shrouded pusher, it may block freeflow. I have a pusher on my truck now for the A/C.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Pix & Cooling

I hope you make a framed copy of Colton leaning out the window ~ I have only memories of my son like that 35 years ago (choke) .

You have mad skills with a camera .

That radiator looks very nice indeed and Ross says it's good so that's pretty good .

However , it's only two rows and stock was three , I'd never trust a two row radiator .

As I have repeatedly mentioned , the original radiator has NO PROBLEM cooling a 500 CID Cadillac engine in Ca. Summer so I don't understand why you won't even try to clean it my way , at home .

OTOH , that polished Champion Radiator looks really sharp .

It's not made in America ,did you notice that ? .

U.S. Radiators in Los Angeles , are .

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The 2 row alminum radiators have larger tubes and more fins, more efficient heat transfer. As an old school local radiator man explained, the transfer rate of aluminm is much higher, a 2 core is really all you need as in more cores the fronts are more efficient and the backs get the heat already released from them.

Yes, I would prefer US made, but the Champions are a very well constructed part and all I have installed fit very well. You can't beat the price..

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You're right of course .

7. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Remind me again what your way to clean it was

8. Coach529

Coach529 Member

2 week update.

I am not sure on the exact miles, but he gets driven almost daily unless it is raining.

The more he gets driven the better he runs. Starts awesome and purrs like a kitten. No issues there what so ever. Knock on wood.

My heater control valve leaks when I close it. Not a huge deal, I am going to bypass it for now and order one. No need for heat for a while.

Steering is nice. I did tighten up the steering box a little bit, but I think I need to do it some more. No wandering or pulling.

Brakes are awesome. The pads are broke in now and no issues with stopping power.

Handling. Good considering the ride height and amount of travel. On some sharper edged bumps I get a tooth rattling slam. I am probably running out of travel. The back is far worse than the front. I also think the shocks I have are probably a little soft for the application. Might have to invest in some Bilsteins.

Constantly chasin rattles which is to be expected. I guess I should just turn up the radio louder.

Thanks for the inspiration and help guys. It has been a blast.

Henry is far from done, but I will be taking a break for the summer.

I sold my existing garage and on Friday some house movers are moving its new home. I have some concrete to break up and then pour a new slab. Then I will start building my dream garage. 24' x 42' with 10 sidewalls and a complete bonus room upstairs. Should be a fun project......looking forward to the added room!!

[​IMG]

9. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I always enjoy your posts... from the updates regarding Henry, to the stories about the wife and kids, to the showing off of your photographic talent. Thanks for sharing everything with us here. Looking forward to seeing the new garage!

Damon

10. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

ohh man ive loved this thread, keep us updated on the truck and the new garage buddy

11. Zig

Zig Member

What Damon said!
    You will end up with a fantastic garage, too! Can't wait to see how that turns out.
    Keep us posted!

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Radiator Cleaning

Citric Acid Powder mixed one pound per three gallons of distilled water , fill and drive , in a day or three it'll be whistle clean , flush it out , run some fresh distilled water and Baking Soda mix through to neutralize the Acid residue and you're golden ~ mix a 60/40 % solution of coolant and distilled water nad your over heating troubles should be gone .

The fact that the coolant temps creep up whilst you're driving , makes me wonder about the ignition timing and exhaust back pressure , too low caby float height causing lean running , things like that .

13. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Citric Acid Powder, like the stuff you can get at the grocery store?

14. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Can anybody point me in the direction of a post on how to check and adjust float height?

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Radiator Cleaning

I've never seen it at the Grocery Store but yes , if it's baking grade Citric Acid Powder , that's the stuff .

NO SUGAR ! .

Baking & Candy Making Supply Houses sell it for about .50 CENTS the pound .

16. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Henry is still alive and living a life of leisure. Daily cruises to haul the kids around, or a milk run.

Hangs out on the curb sometimes and attracts all sorts of attention!!

[​IMG]

A lot of changes over the past 60 years. 1949 vs 2009

[​IMG]

I was haulin broken up concrete to a local pit and spied this out of the corner of my eye. Hmmm......next project? Maybe.

[​IMG]

17. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

your pictures always rock!!!

18. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Thank you!!

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Next Project

Wow , sweet ! a 1949 GMC 1/2 ton with side miount spare and a the always popular Nu-View Cab , GO for it ~ you'll soon be loving that powerful GMC
    l o n g motor
    :D .

20. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Did these have an open driveshaft?